Wheat Ridge Active Adult Center –Sept. 2015
September Sneak Peek
Enjoy a delicious lunch and then check out the art class demos and displays as well as fitness and computer class demos. This event takes place on Tues. September 1st at 12:30pm; cost is $5, call 303-205-7500 to register.
Bridge Class on Defense
Defense is one of the most difficult but rewarding aspects of bridge. Everything from opening leads, to signals, to reading the dummy is covered. A good defender is almost always a winning player. This class, taught by Sandy Koller, is for the intermediate to advanced bridge player. 10-class session starts Thursday, Sept. 17th, space is limited so register early ($48) by calling 303-205-7500.
Estate Planning 101
This presentation will explain why estate planning is important for all individuals, what happens when there is not a will or trust, how to properly plan an estate and the goals of the estate planning process. You will receive information regarding the pros and cons of wills and trusts, how to avoid probate, consideration of heirs, long term health care concerns and tax reduction planning. 1 class to be held on Wed. Sept. 16th cost is $5, call 303-205-7500 to register.
Sit back, relax and enjoy our free monthly movie! “Woman in Gold” starring Helen Mirren, will be shown on Thurs. September 24th at 1pm. No RSVP needed, just show up!
Roll Your Way to Fitness
Body rolling, also known as self-massage or myo-fascial release, is a vital component to anyone’s exercise, rehabilitation or training program. Try this tool for 6 weeks and you’ll notice a difference in all your routine activities. New class starts Friday, Sept. 11th at 12noon; cost is $39, call 303-205-7500 to register.
Improv for Better Communication (and fun!)
This is a great class for those who may be struggling with memory issues or simply want to live in the moment! Spur-of- the-moment dialogue is completed without use of an already prepared, written script. Join this group and discover your inner thespian. 6-week class begins on Mon. Sept. 21st, cost is $24; call 303-205-7500 to register.
Computer and Technology
We offer a wide variety of computer classes from basic info to learning about your tablet or even your phone. Please call 303-205-7500 for a complete schedule of upcoming classes being offered.
- Camera or Tablet One-on-One – receive a private 1-hour tutoring session, call to schedule – $25/hour
- Computer Tutoring One-on-One – receive a private 1-hour tutoring session, call to schedule – $25/hour
- Just Drawing – 6-week class begins Friday, Sept. 4th – 9:30-11:30am; $45 + $15 supply fee
- Beginning Pastel – 6-week class begins Friday, Sept. 4th – 1-3pm; $50 + $30 supply fee
- Continuing Pastel – 6-week class begins Monday, Sept. 14th – 1-3pm; $50 + $15 supply fee
- Japanese Bunka – new 6-week class begins Thursday, Sept. 3rd – 1-3pm; $29 + kit fee
- Pottery – new 8-week class to begin on Tuesday, Sept. 8th 1-3pm – $61 + $15 supply fee
- Greeting Cards with Karen – 1 class; Saturday, Sat. Sept. 12 10am-12pm; $10 + $10 supply fee
Call 303-205-7500 for more info or to register.
Evening Fitness Classes
- Qi Gong – new 6-week class will begin on Wed. Sept. 2nd, 4:30-5:30pm; cost is $39, discount for Wheat Ridge SilverSneaker cardholders. Call 303-205-7500 to register.
- Yoga – new 6-week class will begin on Wed. Sept. 2nd, 6-7pm; cost is $36, discount for Wheat Ridge SilverSneaker cardholders. Call 303-205-7500 to register.
- R & R Yoga – new 6-week class will begin on Thurs. Sept. 3rd, 6-7pm; cost is $36, discount for Wheat Ridge SilverSneaker cardholders. Call 303-205-7500 to register.
Dance, Dance, Dance
The Wheat Ridge Active Adult Center offers a wide variety of ongoing dance classes to include: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced Tap; Belly Dancing, Hula, Ballroom, Zumba and Western Line Dance. Call 303-205-7500 for more information.
- Couples Ballroom: Rhumba – Fridays, Sept. 4-25 from 12:15-1:15pm; $25 per person or $6 for SilverSneaker cardholders.
- Hula Dance – new 6-week session begins Tues, Sept. 1st; $26 or free for SilverSneaker cardholders.
- Belly Dance – new 6-week session begins Thurs, Sept. 3rd; $26 or free for SilverSneaker cardholders.
Special Interest Drop-In Groups (drop-in fee $2)
- Duplicate Bridge – Every Monday 12-3:30pm, bring a partner (fee $2.50 ea.)
- Low Vision Support Group – 3rd Tuesdays (September 15th) 1:30-2:30pm – Free
- Write & Share – 3rd Tuesday (September 15th) 2-3:30pm
- Krafty Needles, Knit & Crochet Group – Every Tuesday 9:30-11am
- Social Bridge – Every Tuesday, 12:40-3:45pm
- Smile-Hi Healing Laughter – Every Tuesday, 12:15-1:15pm
- Silversmith Lab – Every Wednesday, 9-12noon
- Woodcarvers Guild – Every Wednesday, 1-3:30pm
- Blood Pressure Screenings – 4th Thursdays, 11am-1pm – Free
- Genealogy Genies – 3rd Thursdays (September 17th) 1:30-3pm
- Booktalk – 4th Thursdays (September 24th) 10-11:30am – Book: The Light Between Oceans
- Pinochle – Every Friday from 12:30pm to 3:30pm
- Computer Lab – Monday-Friday from 8:30am-12pm & 1:30-3:30pm (unless class is scheduled)
The Wheat Ridge Active Adult Center offers a wide variety of activities for the 50 and up crowd. Choose from numerous exercise classes and a variety of general interest classes, or hone your technical skills in one of our computer classes. We also have an excellent Trip Program and many wonderful Special Events held throughout the year. We are proud to be a SilverSneakers facility. Please feel free to stop in sometime or contact us for additional information.
To receive a complete listing of all of our wonderful programs, call us and we’ll mail you a copy of our “Possibilities” activities guide. All ages are welcome to participate in these programs. Please pre-register where necessary.