Wheat Ridge Active Adult Center – June 2015
The Wheat Ridge Active Adult Center offers a wide variety of activities for the 50 and up crowd. Choose from numerous exercise classes and a variety of general interest classes, or hone your technical skills in one of our computer classes. We also have an excellent Trip Program and many wonderful Special Events held throughout the year. We are proud to be a SilverSneakers facility. Please feel free to stop in sometime or contact us for additional information.
Summer Jazz Luncheon
Enjoy a New Orleans style luncheon followed by the dazzling sounds of The Denver Jazz Youth All Stars on Thursday, June 18th; cost is $8, sign up by calling 303-205-7500.
Ever have that feeling like someone is watching over you? This fun interactive presentation will raise your awareness of the many forms and ways in which angels are present in our lives. This class will be held on Friday, June 19th, cost is $5. Call 303-205-7500 for additional information or to register.
Unlocking the Secrets of Gluten
In this hands-on cooking class you will learn about the pros and cons of living with and cooking for a gluten free diet. Sauces, gravies, pastas and muffins will be covered in this class. Come ready to learn, cook, eat and clean-up! One class, Tuesday, June 23rd; cost is $16, call 303-205-7500 to get registered.
Purge the Pantry
This class will focus on fresh food vs. stocking up on canned goods as well as how to read food labels and more.
You may attend either class, one will be held on Wed., June 17th and another on June 24th; cost is $10, call 303-205-7500 to sign up.
Fitness, Food and Type II Diabetes
This class will cover some basic exercise routines and a hands-on cooking demo. This 2-part class will be held on Tuesdays, June 23rd & 30th – cost is $29; call 303-205-7500 to register.
Sit back, relax and enjoy our free monthly movie! “The Theory of Everything” will be shown on Thurs. June 25th at 1pm. No RSVP needed, just show up!
Take a Hike!
It’s time to get out and enjoy the beauty of hiking in this great state of ours! We’re headed to Green Mountain Falls on Thursday, June 18th then up to Ten Mile Canyon Nat’l Recreation Trail on Monday, June 29th; cost is $18 per hike, call 303-205-7500 to register and to get a complete list of all of our upcoming hikes.
Evening Fitness Options
- Qi Gong – new 6-week class will begin on Wed. June 3rd, 4:30-5:30pm; cost is $39, discount for Wheat Ridge SilverSneaker cardholders. Call 303-205-7500 to register.
- Yoga – new 6-week class will begin on Wed. June 3rd, 6-7pm; cost is $36, discount for Wheat Ridge SilverSneaker cardholders. Call 303-205-7500 to register.
- R & R Yoga – new 6-week class will begin on Thurs. June 4th, 6-7pm; cost is $36, discount for Wheat Ridge SilverSneaker cardholders. Call 303-205-7500 to register.
Computer and e-Classes
We offer a wide variety of computer classes from basic info to learning about your tablet or even your phone. Please call 303-205-7500 for a complete schedule of upcoming classes being offered.
- Learn to use your iPad – 2 classes, June 1st & 3rd; cost is $40, call 303-205-7500 to register.
- Tablet Basics – 2 classes, June 8th & 10th; restricted to Samsung, Nexus, Asus and LG purchased after 2013; cost is $40, call 303-205-7500 to register.
- Basics of a Mac Computer – 2 classes, June 29th & July 1st; cost is $40, call 303-205-7500 to register.
- Leisure Travel Planning Online – 2 classes, June 29th & July 1st; cost is $40, call 303-205-7500 to register.
- Camera or Tablet One-on-One – receive a private 1-hour tutoring session, call to schedule – $25/hour
- Computer Tutoring One-on-One – receive a private 1-hour tutoring session, call to schedule – $25/hour
- Courtney’s Watercolor Fun! – 6 classes, new session starts Friday, June 5th; $55 + $50 supply fee
- Ongoing Pastel Class – 6 classes, new session begins Monday, June 22nd; $50 + $10 supply fee
- Charcoal Drawing – Animals – new 6-week class will start on Friday, June 5th – $45 + $15 supply fee
Call 303-205-7500 for more info or to register.
Dance, Dance, Dance
The Wheat Ridge Active Adult Center offers a wide variety of ongoing dance classes to include: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced Tap; Belly Dancing, Hula, Ballroom, Zumba and Western Line Dance. Call 303-205-7500 for more information.
Special Interest Drop-In Groups (drop-in fee $2)
- Duplicate Bridge – Every Monday 12-3:30pm, bring a partner (fee $2.50 ea.)
- Low Vision Support Group – 3rd Tuesdays (June 16th) 1:30-2:30pm – Free
- Write & Share – 3rd Tuesday (June 16th) 2-3:30pm
- Krafty Needles, Knit & Crochet Group – Every Tuesday 9:30-11am
- Social Bridge – Every Tuesday, 12:40-3:45pm
- Smile-Hi Healing Laughter – Every Tuesday, 12:15-1:15pm
- Silversmith Lab – Every Wednesday, 9-12noon
- Woodcarvers Guild – Every Wednesday, 1-3:30pm
- Blood Pressure Screenings – 4th Thursdays, 11am-1pm – Free
- Genealogy Genies – 3rd Thursdays (May 21st) 1:30-3pm
- Booktalk – Thursday, June 25th from 10-11:30am – Book: “Orphan Train”
- Pinochle – Every Friday from 12:30pm to 3:30pm
- Computer Lab – Monday-Friday from 8:30am-12pm & 1:30-3:30pm (unless class is scheduled)