Taking to the trails
ARVADA, CO – Join us on Saturday, June 1 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for National Trails Day. This event is hosted by Majestic View Nature Center and Two Ponds Wildlife Refuge. Both sites offer a beautiful setting to walk/bike the trails, participate in family friendly activities and enjoy free ice cream by Scrumptious and hotdogs grilled by the Arvada Fire Protection District.
“Arvada Trails Day affords families the chance to learn about the numerous opportunities in our community to appreciate our great outdoors,” Karen Miller, Director of Majestic View Nature Center.
Events Connecting Both Venues:
- Two 5K trail walks with a park naturalist along historic canal trails connecting Majestic View and Two Ponds. Meet at 9:00 a.m. at either Two Ponds or at Majestic View Nature Center.
- A 20 mile free bicycle ride, for this “rough ride” meet at 8:45 a.m. at Majestic View Community Park north parking lot (on 72nd west of Carr) and travel along Van Bibber Creek, Blunn and Ralston Creek Trails. The ride includes a map, expert guides (Denver Bicycle Touring Club), restroom stops and great scenery. Helmets are required.
- A 6 mile family friendly free bike ride, meet at Majestic View Community Park at 9:15 a.m. to travel towards Two Ponds then return. Helmets are required. Call 303-503-2337 for more information on either ride.
At Majestic View Nature Center (7030 Garrison Street):
- Denver Zoo and Hawk Quest: Live animal presentations;
- Ancient Treasures Ranch: Pet an alpaca;
- Nature/Outdoor exhibits;
- Arvada trails information;
- Music and Kids’ activities
At Two Ponds National Wildlife Refuge (80th Avenue just east of Kipling):
- Birds of Prey Foundation: Live raptors;
- Environmental education displays/activities;
- Colorado Parks & Wildlife and Wild Birds Unlimited;
- Wildlife photography, face painting;
- Interactive poetry; and
- Self-guided nature walks along Refuge trails.
A free shuttle service will be offered between Majestic View and Two Ponds. Parking is available at Majestic View Nature Center and at the Medical Center lot on the southeast corner of 80th and Kipling.
This celebration is organized by the Arvada Festivals Commission, Majestic View Nature Center, Two Ponds National Wildlife Refuge and the Arvada Park Advisory Committee.
For more information and/or to volunteer for this and other Arvada Festivals Commission’s events, please contact 720-898-7400 or visit www.arvadafestivals.com.
Founded in 1870, the City of Arvada is a beautiful western suburb of Denver, Colorado. Even with an estimated population of 107,700, Arvada retains a small-town feel while featuring a diverse economic base, highly educated workforce, and low crime rate. The City most recently was named one of the “2012 Top Workplaces” by the Denver Post. Visit: www.arvada.org or stay connected with us on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, and YouTube.