Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) – Oct. 2015
Volunteering in the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program is easy. Fill out an enrollment to match your interests to available opportunities. We’ll find something you’ll enjoy and add your volunteer hours to the total we send our federal sponsors showing how much seniors help in their communities. Adams/E. Arapahoe RSVP finds volunteer spots for those 55 and up in Adams County, and Arapahoe County east of I-25. Sponsored by: Corp. for National and Community Service and The Senior Hub, Inc. Contact Tom Rapp 303-955-6609 or email@example.com., to find out about other opportunities not listed here.
Help in Adams County elementary schools this school year in either our general elementary tutoring program, or in our Schools Where All Thrive Tutor/Mentor Program (SWAT) working with 2nd and 3rd grade students behind in reading skills. This year we’ll continue in Adams 1, 12, 50 and 27J and will also move into District 14 in Commerce City. We’ll need about 20 new volunteers to fill our new needs and also replace some volunteers who weren’t able to continue this year. If you love younger kids and have 2 hours a week to contribute come join us. We’ll have several SWAT training sessions this Fall, so call Ron Ausmus at 303.993.3062 or firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about SWAT. Or to learn about our general elementary program call Tom Rapp at 303-955-6609 or email@example.com.
Military Veterans Health and Help Squads: Help to be the listening ears and helping hands with other veterans, current military members and their families. This program is for military vets and/or their spouses (55 or older). Squads of vets/vet spouses visit squad members by phone or meet to help with activities, share meals or attend events. Together. Some help at the Colorado Veterans Home. Both male and female squads are open. Tell your vet friends so they can be in a squad with you. We have squads in the northern and eastern Denver suburbs and are also putting squads together in the eastern I-70 towns from Watkins to Deer Trail. It’s fun, call Tom Rapp!
Community Garden/Food Bank Project: We have over 20 gardens in Brighton, Commerce City, Federal Heights, Northglenn, Thornton, Westminster and southwest Adams County. Many gardens need extra help with weeding and preparing this year’s final harvest. A couple of hours a week from you will make a huge difference. Contact Tom Rapp about a garden near you.
- RSVP Disaster Preparedness Team needs places to present this vital information about being prepared in advance for natural/other disasters. We also need members to speak.
- Thornton Food Bank needs someone with a pickup truck to bring donations from Thornton area stores to the food bank twice a week. (Some lifting is required).
- In-home care: Volunteers provide grocery shopping, run errands, do housekeeping, offer business help or give friendly visits or telephone reassurance to homebound persons.
- Meals on Wheels: Senior Hub Meals on Wheels (MOW), Aurora MOW and Brighton MOW need drivers so people won’t miss out on this vital meal delivery program.
- Adult Day Care: Senior Hub Adult Day service in Northglenn needs helpers at mealtimes and to help with activities during the day.
- Recycling events helpers
- Food bank helpers
- .Congregate meal site servers
- Serving in hospitals or senior centers
- Serving on boards and committees
- Miscellaneous short-term volunteer opportunities.
- Yarn Needed: 4-ply, non-wool yarn for our volunteers who make lap robes for nursing homes, homeless shelters, and military veterans.