Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) – July 2016
Adams/E. Arapahoe RSVP finds volunteer spots for those 55 and up in Adams County, and Arapahoe County east of I-25. Sponsored by: Corp. for National and Community Service and The Senior Hub, Inc. We’ll find something you’ll enjoy and add your volunteer hours to the total we send our federal sponsors to show how much seniors are helping in our area. Contact Tom Rapp 303-955-6609 or firstname.lastname@example.org., to find out about the many other opportunities not listed here.
Military Veterans Health and Help Squads: Help to be the listening ears and helping hands with other veterans, current military members and their families. This program is for military vets and/or their spouses who are 55 or older. Squads visit by phone or meet to help with activities, share meals or attend events. Some help at the Colorado Veterans Home. Male, female and couples squads are open. Tell your vet friends so they can join a squad with you. We have squads in northern and eastern metro-Denver and are also forming squads out east from Watkins to Deer Trail. It’s great fun, call Tom for information.
Community Garden/Food Bank Project: We have over 20 gardens in Brighton, Commerce City, Federal Heights, Northglenn, Thornton, Westminster and southwest Adams County. Many gardens need extra help with weeding and maintaining this year’s gardens to ensure a good harvest for both the gardeners and local food banks that supply produce for the needy (7.1 tons was donated last year). A couple of hours a week will make a huge difference. Contact Tom Rapp about a garden near you.
Help in Adams County schools in either our general elementary tutoring program, or in our Schools Where All Thrive Tutor/Mentor Program (SWAT) working with 2nd and 3rd grade students behind in reading. We’ll need many volunteers for additional schools and to replace volunteers who can’t continue this Fall. If you love younger kids and have 2 hours a week to donate come join us. We’ll have several SWAT training sessions this Fall, so call Ron Ausmus at 303.993.3062 or email@example.com to find out about SWAT. To learn about our general elementary program contact Tom Rapp.
Senior Peer Counseling and Companionship Calling Programs: We’ve launched two new programs to provide senior peer counselors through the Community Reach Center and companionship callers in Senior Hub’s In-Home Care Department. The counseling program will train senior peer counselors to assist senior clients of Community Reach Center who don’t require the services of a trained clinician. Similarly, the companionship calling program will provide an additional contact for clients of Senior Hub’s In-Home Care program beyond that provided by the in-home care workers. Calling can be done from home and won’t require in-person visiting. Call RSVP for information about the two programs.
- RSVP Disaster Preparedness Team needs places to present this vital information about being prepared in advance for natural/other disasters. We also need members to speak
- Meals on Wheels: Senior Hub Meals on Wheels (MOW), Aurora MOW and Brighton MOW need drivers so people won’t miss out on this vital meal delivery program.
- Adult Day Care: Senior Hub Adult Day service in Northglenn needs someone to pick up meals where they’re prepared and bring them to ADS. Helpers are also needed at mealtimes and to help with daily activities
- Recycling event helpers.
- Food bank helpers
- Congregate meal site servers.
- Serving in hospitals or senior centers.
- Serving on boards and committees.
- Miscellaneous short-term volunteer opportunities.
- Yarn Needed: 4-ply, non-wool yarn for our volunteers who make lap robes for nursing homes, homeless shelters, and military veterans.