Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) – Feb 2017
Adams/E. Arapahoe RSVP finds volunteering for those 55 and up in Adams County, and Arapahoe County east of I-25. Sponsors: Corp. for National and Community Service and The Senior Hub, Inc. Contact Tom Rapp 303-955-6609 or email@example.com., about these and other opportunities.
Platte Valley Medical Center Volunteer Ambassadors: Volunteers to provide excellent customer service with compassion, and who will put the needs of patients and guests first and play an integral part in providing a great experience for patients and families. Volunteer slots include the Emergency Room waiting area, front lobby area, and women’s services radiology area. An ability to engage people, be proactive in offering assistance, and go above and beyond are needed. Physical needs: ability to walk, push wheelchairs if needed, and serve for 4 hour shifts. Call RSVP for further contact information.
CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) of Adams and Broomfield Counties works to make sure children who can’t live safely at home have a caring volunteer to fight for their right to be safe, be treated with dignity, and have safe passage from foster care. Contact RSVP for more information.
Arapahoe County Human Services Volunteering: Aurora and Centennial areas: On-Call Respite Volunteer; Foster Family Respite and Support Assistance; Parenting Time Program Assistance; Kidz Night Out; Information Ambassador; Clerical Assistant. Call Tom at RSVP for more information.
Help in Adams County schools with either our general elementary program, or our Schools Where All Thrive Tutor/Mentor Program (SWAT) which works with 2nd and 3rd grade students behind in reading. If you love younger kids and have 2 hours a week come join us. We’ll be training again soon, so call Ron Ausmus about SWAT at 303.993.3062 or firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn about the general elementary program call Tom. Many young kids need extra help to succeed in school. We need you.
Military Veterans Health and Help Squads: This program is for military vets and/or their spouses 55 or older. Squads visit by phone, help with activities, share meals and attend events. Some help at the Colorado Vets Home, or assist veterans and military families in the community. Call Tom now.
Senior Peer Counseling Program: Through the Community Reach Center (CRC), the peer counseling program trains senior peer counselors to assist senior clients of CRC not requiring services from a trained clinician. Call RSVP for information.
Community Garden Helpers: It won’t be long until the next garden season. Our Adams Community Garden CO-OP will need many more helpers. Earn a share of produce for yourself while helping to donate to area food banks/pantries. Last year we donated 5.5 tons! Call Tom at RSVP.
Other Volunteer Opportunities:
- Food bank helpers (Call RSVP for locations).
- Meals on Wheels (MOW): Senior Hub (MOW), Aurora MOW and Brighton MOW need route drivers for new or vacant routes.
- Senior Hub Adult Day service in Northglenn needs someone to pick up meals and bring them to ADS. Help is also needed serving meals and with activities.
- RSVP Disaster Prep Team needs places to present on being prepared for disasters. They also need speakers for their speaking team.
- Congregate meal site servers.
- Serving in hospitals or senior centers.
- Serving on boards and committees.
- Recycling event helpers.
- Miscellaneous short-term opportunities (Call RSVP).
- Yarn Needed: 4-ply, non-wool yarn for our volunteers who make lap robes for nursing homes, homeless shelters, and military veterans. More knitters are welcome too. Call Tom for details.