Denver’s Neustadt Jewish Arts, Authors, Movies and Music Festival Lineup Announced
DENVER, Colo., Sept. 21, 2021 – The JCC Mizel Arts and Culture Center is bringing famed talent to Denver in-person and virtually this fall through its 14th Annual Neustadt Jewish Arts, Authors, Movies and Music (JAAMM) Festival. The festival’s opening night is on Oct. 6 with a live, in-person comedy show from Comedy for Peace, a project that brings together the best Muslim and Jewish stand-up comedians together for an inspiring, funny and unforgettable evening. Additional events will be held from October through December and include headliners like comedian and singer/songwriter Jackie Tohn; author Colum McCann; and chef and author Jake Cohen. Tickets go on sale Sept. 22.
“The goal of the JAAMM Festival is to bring diverse and unique cultural content to our community,” said Rich Cowden, general manager of the JCC Mizel Arts and Culture Center. “Perhaps no festival in the state offers such a wide range of offerings as JAAMM, and we’re already working hand-in-hand with the artists to guarantee superb experiences for both our existing and new audiences.”
Headline events include:
- Wednesday, Oct. 6 – Comedy for Peace (Opening night)
- Workshop at 6 p.m.: Interactive theatrical workshop with artists from Comedy for Peace at 6 p.m. at the JCC Phillips Social Hall
- Performance at 7:30 p.m.: Comedy for Peace brings together the best Muslim and Jewish stand-up comedians for an inspiring, funny and unforgettable evening at the JCC Elaine Wolf Theatre and streaming on Eventive.
- Thursday, Nov. 4 at 7 p.m. – Comedian, Singer / Songwriter Jackie Tohn
- From Netflix’s Glow and Best Leftovers Ever!, welcome rising musical comedian, Jackie Tohn. Tohn co-created the new animated preschool musical series, DO RE & MI, which is on Amazon. She also co-wrote all 50 of the songs for the show’s massive first season pickup. She and Kristen Bell executive produce the show and voice two of the three main characters. Tohn will be in-person at the JCC Elaine Wolf Theatre and the event will be streaming on Eventive.
- Tuesday, Nov. 30, 7 p.m. – Author Colum McCann
- From the National Book Award-winning and bestselling author of ‘Let the Great World Spin’ comes an epic novel, ‘Apeirogon,’ rooted in the real-life friendship between two men united by loss. McCann will be in-person at the JCC Elaine Wolf Theatre and the event will be streaming on Eventive.
- Thursday, Dec. 2, 6:30 p.m. – Chef and Author Jake Cohen
- A brilliantly modern take on Jewish culinary traditions for a new generation of readers, from a bright new star in the culinary world, Jake Cohen. Jake will lead a Chanukah-themed culinary event in-person at the JCC Phillips Social Hall.
- Tuesday, Dec. 7, 7 p.m. – Rabbi Sandra Lawson
- Rabbi Lawson will speak on the topic “Black, Jewish & Queer: Navigating Judaism with Multiple Identities & Building Bridges.” Her 21st century rabbinate takes her from nursing homes, to cafes, to the world of social media where she uses the aspects of her identity to connect with others. Lawson will be in-person at the JCC Elaine Wolf Theatre and the event will be streaming on Eventive.
In addition to headline events, the festival includes 12 additional events including movies and author lectures courtesy of Jewish Book Council. For more information on additional events, visit www.jccdenver.org/jaamm
“The Mizel Arts and Culture staff continue to program the most diverse and exciting programs and to do them in a way that they are accessible and safe for us all to enjoy,” said Kathy Neustadt, whose Piñon Trail Foundation is the title sponsor of the festival. “This year’s lineup is no exception and may be the best yet. I’m pleased to support this wonderful festival that continues to bring the highest caliber of literature, cinema and culture to the JCC and the Denver community.”
The JCC Mizel Arts and Culture Center has enacted a vaccination and mask policy for in-person events. All event attendees – ages 12 and older – must be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. All attendees, regardless of age, will also be required to wear a mask at all times while in attendance at JAAMM events.
For ticket prices, to view the full festival lineup and to purchase tickets, visit jccdenver.org/jaamm. This year we will be running a virtual and cashless box office. For tickets and more information, visit https://jaamm.eventive.org/welcome . Patrons can also email or call the JCC Mizel Arts and Culture Center Box Office at email@example.com OR (303) 316-6360 for more information. Ticket kiosks will be located in the JCC Denver Lobby during the week, and in the JCC Mizel Arts and Culture Center Lobby one hour before the event.
About Jcc Mizel Arts And Culture Center
As one of the Rocky Mountain region’s premier arts organizations, the JCC Mizel Arts and Culture Center illuminates the human experience through creative and cultural programs in the performing, visual, cinematic and literary arts for the Jewish community and the Denver community at-large. The Mizel Arts and Culture Center is a Tier II member of the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD) and is guided by a mission that is focused specifically on arts and cultural programs. A variety of festivals are offered throughout the year including Denver Jewish Film Festival, JAAMM Fest (Jewish Arts, Authors, Movies and Music Fest), and ReelAbilities Film Festival. The JCC Mizel Arts and Culture Center is located at 350 S. Dahlia Street in Denver. For more information, visit www.jccdenver.org/arts-culture or call 303-316-6360.
About Staenberg-Loup Jewish Community Center
The Staenberg – Loup Jewish Community Center (JCC Denver) serves the metro-Denver area through educational, social, cultural, fitness, sports and other programs that are rooted in Jewish values. The JCC Denver’s mission is to create a vibrant and inclusive family and social gathering place, guided by these timeless Jewish values. The JCC Denver’s four program areas focus on connection, community and well-being and include: a robust fitness, sports, tennis and aquatic center; Early Childhood Engagement, including an Early Learning School and a variety of programs for families; the Mizel Arts and Culture Center which offers Jewish Arts, Authors, Movies & Music Festival (JAAMM Fest), Denver Jewish Film Festival, and ReelAbilities Film Festival; summer camps including Ranch Camp and Camp Shai; engagement programming for teens, young adults, seniors and the LGBTQ+ community. The JCC Denver is located at 350 S. Dahlia Street in Denver. For more information, visit www.jccdenver.org, like us on Facebook and Instagram @jccdenver or call (303) 399-2660.