Making Sure You Have Access to Food
You may not know it, but you could qualify for food assistance through Colorado’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, also known as SNAP. SNAP, formerly known as food stamps, is a nutrition program whose purpose is to assist limited-income households purchase food.
Benefits in Action is a non-profit organization whose mission is to provide understanding, access, and utilization of health-related benefits to enhance health and wellbeing. Among our many services, Benefits in Action specializes in the SNAP program and helping people receive funds that they may not know they qualify for. Along with SNAP, we provide counseling and application assistance for Medicare, Medicaid, and Connect for Health (the state health insurance exchange).
Benefits in Action’s goal is to make it easy and convenient for you to understand, apply for, and receive the benefits these programs have to offer. To determine if you can receive SNAP benefits, we’ll need to first determine your eligibility:
- If you live alone your income cannot exceed $1,307
- If you are applying as a family, the total household income must be below the sum of $1,307 for the first member and $458 for each additional member.
- Your household may not have more than $2,250 in countable resources, which includes a bank account. If at least one person is over the age of 60 or is disabled, you may have $3500 in countable resources
- You cannot have intentionally left a job or reduced hours to qualify, and you must be registered to work and take a job if offered
- If you are an older adult, disabled, pregnant or under the age of 18, you might be the exception to employment requirements
- You may be non-citizen, but you must be lawfully admitted for permanent residence, parolees, deportation withhold status, conditional entrants, Cuban or Haitian entrants, battered non-citizens, refugees, trafficking victims, Iraqi or Afghan special immigrants, Hmong or Highland Laotian tribal members, or certain American Indians born abroad
- Other non-citizen requirements apply
Great! Now that you have a better understanding of the eligibility requirements, we want to tell you about the other benefits of SNAP. Not only can you double your dollars at participating farmers markers and grocery retailers, but by simply having a SNAP card you can receive discounted internet service, mobile phone service, Amazon Prime membership, and admission to local museums and zoos.
Benefits in Action understands how important it is to have access to food and we are here to assist you every step of the way. Appointments are available over the phone and in person.
Call to make your appointment today. 720-221-8354 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.